Located outside of Salisbury University’s Teacher Education and Technology Center (better known as Conway Hall) is a bronze statue of Harriet Tubman. First unveiled in 2009, it is held to be the first three dimensional commemorative piece honoring Harriet Tubman on the Eastern Shore from which she was from. Created by Dr. James Hill, the statue depicts Tubman extending her right arm out with her palm facing upward, On her left shoulder there is an owl, while at her feet there is a rabbit alongside various seashells including that of a crab. The statue rests on a concrete pedestal at the end of a short brick path with benches flanking her left and right sides.
Often dubbed the “Moses of her people,” Harriet Tubman (c.1821-1913) escaped slavery and became an instrumental part of the Underground Railroad, helping countless others escape slavery in the South. This, of course, placed a large bounty on her that no one was ever able to claim. Not once was she captured during her trips to the South. Tubman also played an important role during the American Civil War, serving the Union in recruiting and training spies and scouts as well as sabotaging the Confederacy by helping enslaved people escape to the North. Her efforts did not end at abolition, but she also was an activist for women’s rights, Tubman truly played an instrumental role in American history and left a tremendous impact on those she helped.