Located just off of Route 50 in Salisbury Maryland, Houston Cemetery is a historically Black cemetery established in part and named after the Houston family. Solomon Houston (some times spelled Huston) in particular was a significant figure on Delmarva. His father, Levin Houston, was one of the five founding freemen of the John Wesley Methodist Episcopal Church (now referred to as the Charles H. Chipman Cultural Center), the first school and place of worship for African Americans in the area. In 1828, Levin gained his freedom upon the death of Dr. John Huston and it was thought that Solomon had also been enslaved to Dr. Huston. Solomon made a name for himself through real estate in Salisbury, investing the money he had earned from several jobs into properties that he then sold for profit. In 1901, Solomon became one of six people who purchased the land that became Houston Cemetery. In 1955, Route 50 crossed through much of the historic African American community of Georgetown, resulting in it being uprooted along with neighboring graves at Potter’s Field. Houston’s Cemetery survived the ordeal, however, graves from Potter’s Field had to be relocated.
In July of 2023, Beach to Bay Heritage Area unveiled an interpretive marker at the cemetery as part of our efforts to preserve the history of the Eastern Shore.